Thursday, June 9, 2011

New Battlefield 3 Gameplay And Internet Privacy


Here's some footage from the upcoming Battlefield 3. I'm not the biggest FPS fan but this one looks like it will be a good one so thought I'd share it with those who haven't seen it yet. The heat is brutal over here hope all of you are staying cool. Gonna make myself some iced coffee and read today before my day really starts going. Another interested bit is this essay I read about privacy on the internet. If you have the time read it because it is worth it and covers the whole "I don't need internet anonymity, I have nothing to hide" argument. Here it is. If you don't have the time to read 28 pages (understandable) here is the conclusion:
"Whether explicit or not, conceptions of privacy underpin nearly every argument made about privacy, even the common quip “I’ve got nothing to hide.” As I have sought to demonstrate in this essay, understanding privacy as a pluralistic conception reveals that we are often talking past each other when discussing privacy issues. By focusing more specifically on the related problems under the rubric of “privacy,” we can better address each problem rather than ignore or conflate them. The nothing to hide argument speaks to some problems, but not to others. It represents a singular and narrow way of conceiving of privacy, and it wins by excluding consideration of the other problems often raised in government surveillance and data mining programs. When engaged with directly, the nothing to hide argument can ensnare, for it forces the debate to focus on its narrow understanding of privacy. But when confronted with the plurality of privacy problems implicated by government data collection and use beyond surveillance and disclosure, the nothing to hide argument, in the end, has nothing to say."

35 comments:

  1. It's like when people say "It's not my problem" until it ups and hits the entire world in the face! Speak up to be counted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the nothing to hide argument, in the end, has nothing to say"
    that is a great comeback. i'm tired of hearing this nothing to hide bullcrap

    ReplyDelete
  3. unrelated really buy I just have to ask, are you THE doc waffles or a fan of his?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh damn, look at those graphics! I loved BF 2, and I just can't wait for this to come out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for BF3, hope it lives up to BF2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait for this - looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Internet privacy is definitely something more people nee to get involved in

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait, people are still using the nothing to hide argument? I thought that straw man had been beaten ages ago...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to sell all of my stuff, including my girlfriend and son, and move to the wood somewhere in Iowa, and just play this non-stop until the servers go down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that Battlefield 3 is going to be a hit, I loved the first one !

    ReplyDelete
  11. im no First person shooter fan boy but i liked the Battle field franchise better than COD

    ReplyDelete
  12. If it is as good at the second one it will be amazing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Game look good but like you I`m not a big fps fan as I know some.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome! Can't wait for more posts

    ReplyDelete
  15. BF3 is gonna be good. and intersting read about privacy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Battlefield 3 is going to change fps gaming forever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This game is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. People always have something to hide.

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice, i like battle field, but COD has somewhat better points for me thou. and in the end, if you don't have what to hide, then you're not really interesting

    ReplyDelete
  20. waiting to see what happen on release date

    ReplyDelete
  21. Too soon, too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I came here for the Battlefield. :x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I liked the original BF2 on the PC. Hopefully this one brings back the original gameplay style.

    ReplyDelete
  24. definitely getting this one :O

    ReplyDelete